Saturday, 30 March 2013

Agenda Setting in Journalism



This week in tutorial we discussed agenda setting in journalism.The way the media can influence which topics the public focuses on is very interesting. The angle of a story depends on the agenda set by the media.

Since I am from the United States I found it interesting the way the media in Australia portrays Aboriginals. Previously I have heard negative stories of Aboriginals from Australians. After learning the way the media negatively portrays stories about Aboriginals, I understand the power of the media’s agenda. 

Currently I am taking Australia People: An Introduction to Social Science, and I have learnt about the history of Aboriginals. There have been many guest speakers in our class discussing the hardships of being Aboriginal, and the media is only perpetuating stereotypes. As a journalist it is important to understand how powerful your agenda is and the impact your agenda will have on the opinions of the public. 

In all forms of media there is an agenda set. For example, in tutorial we spoke about the ways American movies set an agenda. As an American, I never realised there was an agenda set. After hearing examples from fellow classmates of movies which have an agenda, such as Saving Private Ryan, I can now see the agenda. Yesterday I watched a few American movies and I could see the agenda set in the different movies. 

There are people that form their opinion by the agenda set in movies and other media outlets. It is dangerous for some members of the public to form their opinions based on a media product with an agenda. The best way to form an opinion is by using various media outlets and exploring both sides of the issue and to make a decision based on the information you have researched.

I am very interested in learning about the ways the media sets the agenda in order to benefit their own interests. Agenda setting occurs in the United States with many social issues including same-sex rights, abortion, health care, the financial deficit, gun laws, and many other controversial topics. I used to believe that journalists were supposed to be incredibly objective and agenda setting tactics were used by public relations professionals. I am surprised to learn and be able to recognise agenda setting tactics used by journalists. Maybe one of the issues with journalism today is the lack of objective news stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment