On Patriots Day, April 15, 2013 two bombs went off at the Boston Marathon. Three people were killed and over 144 people were wounded. Many people lost their limbs as a result of the attack.
Obama vowed to find the people responsible for the attack and these people would “feel the full weight of justice.” As a response to the attacks on Boston: Washington D.C., New York, Los Angeles, and all other major United States cities were under red alert and security was tightened.
When I first heard of these attacks I was in the Refect on James Cook University campus. I saw the television out of the corner of my eye and through all noise in the Refect all I heard was Boston. I walked closer towards the television to find out Boston had been attacked.
I quickly rushed back to my room and researched new articles to find out the specifics about the attacks. Then I called my friends in Massachusetts, hoping none of their friends and family were at the Marathon. Luckily, all of my friends and their family’s were safe. Then I called my family to make sure there were not any attacks in New York. Thankfully, all of my family and friends were able to stay safe during the attacks.
I was really upset about the attacks because I was reminded of the tragedies of September 11. I was only in the second grade, but I remember that day very clearly. Every child was being sent home. For the children whose parents worked in the World Trade Centre, they were called in the principles office to wait for a family member to pick them up.
Thankfully, the Boston Marathon bombings did not have as many civilian casualties as September 11. Instead, these bombings caused fear in society. People do not feel safe going to large public gatherings because their safety might be at risk.
After locking down the city of Boston, police found the two Russian bombers after they were causing more chaos in Boston. Apparently the two Russian bombers were on their way to New York.
This attack hit very close to home. Many of my friends are from Massachusetts and I have been to Boston countless times. I have never felt unsafe in the city of Boston, but after these attacks I will be more cautious in large public gatherings in cities.
No comments:
Post a Comment